Tuesday 29 March 2011

Knitted Concrete!

Yes you read correctly! I've just received images to share with you of Hazel Hewitt's innovative material explorations in knitted concrete! Over to Hazel....

"I was researching 3D knitting and attended Rachael Matthews 3D knitting course held in Fabrications shop in Broadway Market. It was a great short course learning from someone so enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
I was then able to put the skills learnt during that course to create my own concrete model concepts and ideas. I was busy researching how to use textile and surface techniques with concrete as part of my design and research work during MA Textile Futures at Central Saint Martins"

Hazel is really pushing the boundaries of what a textile can be. She has developed knitted concrete to be used in a variety of applications and has even invented stretchy concrete!

Her research is underpinned by a sense of exploring well being in the urban environment and specifically improving the aesthetic of concrete structures to create something beautiful and tactile. We wish Hazel all the best with her research and practise!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I love that! She could make lots interesting products using that technique. How did she do it? Is it cast using a mold from hand knitted items?

Fabrications said...

Hazel is currently keeping herv processes up her sleeve but informs me that at the moment they are ideas and experiments that she's trying to develop to use in architectural textiles, but who knows how they might end up?